It’s St. Patrick’s Day, and while the only green I’m wearing are my fuzzy green slipper socks, my kitchen is booming with green flavor. I wanted to celebrate St. Patty’s day in the way it’s meant to be celebrated. A cocktail recipe felt just right. I’ve been soaking in the warmer weather, hoping spring is just as wonderful as I believe it will be. I’ve got vibrant green foliage on the mind, and I thought a refreshing spring cocktail would make my optimistic attitude blossom. I was correct, because the refreshing flavors of crisp cucumbers, melon packed Midori, and freshly muddled mint leaves, make for a combination that is meant to be enjoyed in the garden.
Muddling the mint leaves and cucumber helps release some amazing aromatics and flavors, all of which meld wonderfully together. I love implementing my mortar and pestle whenever I can. Muddling the ingredients releases the oils from the mint leaves, creating a vibrant flavor profile that can’t be attained with mincing. My intent was to use a high quality ginger beer to top off this cocktail, but unfortunately when I sent Aaron to the market, they were all out. So we settled on Ginger ale, but I feel it was a much better ingredient choice, because the other flavors stand out and flourish against the mellow carbonated backdrop.
Midori is a melon liqueur that implements an amazingly vibrant green tone to this cocktail. Shamrocks pale in comparison to the vibrancy of this beverage. I can’t help but think that Irish eyes will be smiling when sipping on an icy glass. It’s light and refreshing as well, a great compliment to your hearty Irish dinner.
- Tumbler Glass
- 5 cucumber slices
- 4 large fresh mint leaves
- 2 oz. Midori
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- Ginger Ale
- Using a muddler, muddle 1 cucumber slice and 3 of the mint leaves in the bottom of your tumbler glass. If you don't have a muddler, a mortar and pestle also works here.
- Top muddled ingredients with ice to fill the glass half way.
- Pour the Midori over the ice.
- Add remaining cucumbers to the tumbler glass.
- Gently add Vodka.
- Gently top off glass with the ginger ale.
- Garnish with remaining mint or cucumber slice.
- The beverage will be layered for a beautiful ombre green presentation. Feel free to stir the beverage before drinking to blend all the fresh flavors.