I found Blueberries on sale at the market and I might have gone a little crazy. I can never pass up a good produce sale, even if it means I end up having an overwhelming surplus of something. This weeks’ crazy surplus was blueberries and I had to think up some way to use them all.
I noticed I had a serious lacking of all things chocolate on Confectionalism… Shame on me! I also noticed I had yet to share a cupcake recipe with you all… double shame!
I know, it shouldn’t have taken me this long. Well, today I am here to remedy the lack of chocolate and cupcakes. All of this while using up a few of my pints of blueberries.
I think the love affair between blueberries and chocolate is sometimes overlooked. It definitely shouldn’t be because they really have a beautiful relationship. Pair them with some Nutella and you have a love triangle that is a pure success. This chocolate cupcake recipe is rich and decadent, using real chocolate and cocoa, and the coffee and cinnamon brighten the flavors and add to their roastiness . The blueberries are studded throughout this moist cake and the tartness of the berries compliment the smooth sweet milk chocolate very well. Top all that with a smooth and powerful Nutella Buttercream Frosting and I start to do a little dance.
I like to top these bad boys with a few extra blueberries to help highlight their gooey insides, and a sprinkle of Cocoa Nibs for texture and decoration. I even had one for breakfast this morning and I’m starting to wish I wouldn’t have sent the rest with Aaron to share with his co-workers. It’s probably for the best as I wouldn’t have been able to resist over indulging today.
Get my Nutella Buttercream Frosting Recipe HERE
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1¼ cups hot coffee
- 1½ cups flour
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1½ pints fresh blueberries
- 1 recipe of my Nutella Buttercream Frosting ( http://www.confectionalism.com/home/nutella-buttercream-frosting-recipe/ )
- blueberries for decorating
- cocoa nibs for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 Muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Combine the milk chocolate and cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot coffee over the chocolate and cocas powder. Stir to combine and melt the chocolate, until smooth.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk the eggs, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine, being sure to not over mix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon into cupcake tins, filling ¾ full for each cupcake liner.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 - 35 min, until the tops spring back when touched lightly.
- Let cool for 15 min and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- After completely cooled, top with Nutella Buttercream, a few blueberries, and sprinkle with cocoa nibs.
- Enjoy! I even devoured one for breakfast... don't judge me.