- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated lemon zest (approx 7 large lemons)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the vanilla Simple syrup:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (6 count) mini bundt pans, or one 9 inch bundt pan. Be sure to grease the crevices of the bundt pan very well, to aid in easy cake removal.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed, until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time. After eggs are incorporated add in the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine the lemon juice, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and milk mixtures alternately to the batter bowl, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between bundt pans (or put all in single bundt pan) , smooth the top(s), and bake 35-40 minutes for mini bundt cakes, or 45 mim to 1 hour for full bundt cake, until a cake tester comes out clean.
For the Syrup:
- Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.
- When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert onto a cooling rack to remove from the pans. Set the cooling rack loaded with cake(s) over a sheet pan/cookie sheet.
- Brush or spoon the vanilla syrup over the cake(s). Allow the cake(s) to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Combine the confectioners sugar, lemon juice, and milk in a bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour or spoon over the tops of the cake(s) and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.
Optional: Top with chopped dried fruit or candied lemon peel. Also pairs well with a scoop of my Honey Blueberry Basil Ice Cream